Monday, September 19, 2005

Another Diaspora

The word Diaspora in relation to events in New Orleans has been crossing my mind for a few days now, so I hied myself over to Wikipedia and started to research the word, and the more I read, the more I realized that this is another diaspora of black folks.

An entire culture, for whatever reasons has been uprooted and for all intents and purposes destroyed and the federal government is still dragging its feet and making slime-y backroom deals, handing out favors to cronies, using immense amounts of monies to line more rich pockets.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t see New Orleans coming back to the way it was and I don’t see it being ‘better’. Take a look at this information on the folks (poor, predominately black, left over from Hurricane Charley in Florida, who are still living in trailers on concrete with poor facilities, one step up from living in tents.

So. What I’ve decided to do is research this word, diaspora, and in particular, ‘African Diaspora’ which is new to me although it makes me feel guilty that today is the first time I’ve ever heard the term.

I’m not wanting to come across as writing an apologia for being a white southerner—because my point is that it’s about being poor.

It doesn’t matter anymore what color you are: what matters is that you are not in George Bush’s “1%”—meaning the 1 percent of the population of this country that owns all the money. (He calls them “my people”.) And those are the folks filling their pockets with all the money being made and that will be made in rebuilding New Orleans.

It will be done as cheaply as possible and as quickly as possible and as soon as the media attention, the stars, the prominent newscasters, move on to the next ‘disaster’ nothing much will happen unless this event has so shocked the powerful black folks in our country, and the powerful politicians who have hearts instead of wallets in their chests that they continue to focus on the Bush Regime and bring it to its knees and out of power.

I can only imagine my country if people like Barack Obama and Oprah Winfrey were running it, or for that matter, any average citizen with a real heart and soul who would put people before profits...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home